Anyone have heard about his?

pclab

Data recovery from all Toshiba hard disks. From noisy-clicking drives to those that are not spinning at all. From drives where the data has gone missing or is visible but not accessible.

MjM Data Recovery have new technology that helps to read Toshiba drives that suffer with the following problems.

Drive slow to initialise or just hangs the computer
Thousands/Millions of bad sectors reported.

Toshiba Harddisk Recovery

Some data recovery companies have tried changing heads, controller and even swapping motors in attempts to resolve the problem but it has been traced to a problem in the defect maps of the drive. One of them becomes corrupt or unreadable and this slows down the translator to the point where it stops reading.

We have a way of bypassing the translator and rebuilding it externally from the drive and this enables us to clone the drive almost at full speed resulting with good recoveries.

Latest: We have found a way of disabling bad sector reallocation. This is a major breakthrough in data recovery techniques on these drives. One of the problems with these disks is that the bad sector reallocation systems can become slow resulting with drives hanging for long periods and other sporadic faults as the drive tries to catch up with bad sector reallocation, end users will see this as hanging computers, or visible but inaccessible data.

Professional Data Recovery software and hardware can circumvent this by setting the reallocation flag in the drive's memory to 0 so it temporarily stops this. However as soon as a reset is applied to the drive, then the reallocation flag in memory is set back to the default and the engineer is back to where he started.

During imaging a drive, resets are important to get a drive out of a particular error state or to flush the drive's buffer memory, this can happen several tens of times an hour and so requires constant resetting. The breakthough we have made is we found a hidden module within the SA of the drive and have located the exact bit of a byte that stores this flag. We found that changing the flag and saving back to the drive's firmware permanently disables the re-allocation meaning that drives will image normally without lots of intervention and restarting and allows all types of automatic reset and power cycling during imaging.

https://www.mjm.co.uk/data-recovery-res ... overy.html

mikem

This is not the translator issue. There is a terminal command that turns off bad sector reallocation, it is well known so I wont repost it here, however, when the drive soft or hard resets and on power cycle the reallocation flag is turned back on resulting with slow reads. What was discovered turns off reallocation permanently that survives soft, hard and power cycles. The flag is in a module that is not listed in thestandard module list, and is hidden in SA HPA area.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
mikem":273jib3s said:
[post]9424[/post] it is well known so I wont repost it here,

I must not be that well known, I've not heard of this terminal command, but then I've also never needed it since DE with utility translator seems to always do the trick.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
mikem":hcliikvr said:
You can use SF to view the current settings.

Thanks for the tips. Toshiba and Samsung terminal commands have always seemed a bit elusive to really pin down how to use effectively. But, I suppose the low demand for data recovery, especially with Toshibas which hardly ever fail, leads to a lot less discussion compared to Seagate drives.