Anyone ever tried Data Extractor RAID Edition?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone here ever tried the RAID edition of Data Extractor? I'd kind of forgotten that it even existed. Just curious how it compares with software like R-Studio for raid rebuilds, which is what I generally do now.

hddguy

Yes, and in my opinion its pretty useless...

auto-detect is poor, you really have to know the config before attempting to rebuild. Its more of a trial and error approach. When building RAID in XFS, XFS boot sector is usually sector 0 of the volume, but it doesnt access it because there is no MBR present pointing to it - pretty odd really.

I used it in the past for a few RAID0 that I did not fancy cloning first (I know cloning should always be done first...) but I rarely use it now for any RAID cases.

I can give you remote access to my system with a RAID0 member connected to each channel, if you ever wanted to check it out.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I kind of expected that, but had hoped being from Ace it would be more impressive. I'm quite happy with how I do it now, just was curious.

How much extra did you pay for it?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, it's still better than the $6000 some of us threw away buying Salvation Data tools. At least with Ace you know that money went into R&D that later will benefit us.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the one feature I'd really like to have the RAID edition for is to be able to image by bitmap from a RAID member. Doesn't seem there's any way to accomplish that using other software combined with PC-3000.

acelab

Hi guys,

hddguy":2yh8vz0l said:
auto-detect is poor, you really have to know the config before attempting to rebuild. Its more of a trial and error approach.
DE RAID Edition supports two types of auto-detection:
1) Auto-detection based on metadata.
2) Auto-detection based on user data.

If you have metadata and PC3K supports it the auto-detection can be done within a couple of seconds.
Using the 1st method depends on every case and sometimes it requires to use user data for auto-detection (2nd method).
If it doesn't help too you can build RAID array in interactive mode which is quite simple.

Please check these articles, it might be useful:
http://blog.acelaboratory.com/data-extr ... art-2.html
http://blog.acelaboratory.com/data-extr ... art-3.html

hddguy":2yh8vz0l said:
When building RAID in XFS, XFS boot sector is usually sector 0 of the volume, but it doesnt access it because there is no MBR present pointing to it - pretty odd really.
XFS Superblock should be defined in sector 0. If not it would be nice to check this case.