Any Reason To Keep WD Tracks In Resources?

Any Reason To Keep WD Tracks in Collected Resources?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of clearing out all the track files in my collected resources, excluding current projects where I might still need them. Anyone know of a useful purpose to keep these tracks around? I know I've never used a track from another drive to do anything, just the modules.

Hey! This is my 1000th post on here. :D

w.simon

Hello

I use tracks to do hotswap (write donnor tracks then key modules from patient)
On some drives i don't remember i know i get better success to write tracks than modules
i use a lot the fonction of DFL : tracks to modules and modules to tracks

Firmwares tooks no a lot of place, i store them on a compressed btrfs volume. (539Go of firmware take 126Go on disks)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I realize the use for active data recovery projects. I'm just talking about the resources that have been collected from years past. I really can't see a reason to keep all that extra data around since it's never used for recovering other drives.

I just want to be sure that no one else knows of a use for them before I go and delete them all off of my firmware server.

pclab

When I backup SA from a pacient I always try to safe tracks.
When it's just a backup from a good drive to add to the database, I don't save them.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly my thinking. I don't think I'll ever have the need to write a donor track to a patient drive, so why keep them.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OK, it's decided then. No one has provided a compelling reason to keep all these useless trk files around, so I'm wiping them off of my firmware server. While a single resource backup might not seem like much, having hundreds and hundreds of them adds up fast. Just one WD family is taking up over 15Gb of space on there, others are probably more. I just don't want it to fill up too fast as I add more and more.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just in Sadle G6 Family deleting the track files freed up 8.65GB on my server. I'd guess it's well over 100Gb of wasted space in total that I'm wiping out here.