Ancient Hard Drive Advice

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Now I need some advice from a data recovery old timer. Same day as I get in my first 8Tb for recovery I also get in a 420Mb drive for recovery (yes Mb not Gb). They actually brought in a supposedly good same model drive in case I need parts for it, but I can't seem to interface with it.

I realize it's probably too old for PC-3000 UDMA to even support it. And, I'm betting that it's a CHS drive rather than LBA. Anyone know an easy way to interface this old dinosaur with a modern PC at least? This is the oldest yet for me.

jol

Jared":xzd2ieug said:
I realize it's probably too old for PC-3000 UDMA to even support it.
right, pc3K isa will support that drive
And, I'm betting that it's a CHS drive rather than LBA.
also right
Anyone know an easy way to interface this old dinosaur with a modern PC at least?
i don't think so, pentium I will do (there are also some pemtiem II (not all of them) that can support it)
maybe, just maybe, you can try a pentium 4 with ISA slot on it and use an ISA IDE I/O controller, never tried it

hddguy

Boot it from BIOS at an older PC with IDE connection, boot hirens Boot CD with MEdia Tools installed, clone to a new drive or recover to FAT32 formatted destination.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried that using both original, and a supposedly good donor, but neither show capacity or even ID in BIOS. I've tried using auto mode, and tried manually entering in the C/H/S specs as listed on the label but same results. I'm starting to think that these drives are both bad, or they did something like PCB replacement before sending here.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it supports CHS as I can set it to that and even manually define the CHS values. Just that it doesn't seem to see anything connected regardless of which drive I connect. I'll be playing around with it more tomorrow.

jol

in the new Ver. 6.0.14 of PC-3000 it says

it has become possible to choose SATA mode (SATA-I/SATA-II) and PIO Mode (0..4) for PC-3000 Express & UDMA-E boards. This feature is helpful for working with old HDDs that may work unstable in the SATA compatibility mode or may fail to support the PIO4 mode

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I'm setting up my new express card today so will have to try that out to see. Thanks!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I just got my Express card so it comes with 30 days support and update. Is it already on the update server? I haven't checked and I'm not exactly sure what version is on the DVD they sent with it.