Alternative to FileMinimizer Suite

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So I tried out a demo of a program (FileMinimizer Suite) that worked really well for removing file slack left over from RAW recovery results. You know, those cases where you've got jpegs that for some unknown reason carve out at 500Mb when they should be just a couple MB. The program works really well at resizing the data of a bunch of file types and removing that junk data at the end. But only the server edition will actually resize and replace the files. They want close to $4K for that edition which is far more than I can justify to just shrink down data on occasion to make it fit on a destination drive.

Anyone know of any good alternatives for this?

mike.neuxpower

Hi Jared,
I see I'm around 6 months late in responding to your question, so I hope you're still in the market for an alternative to FileMinimizer. Our software (NXPowerLite Desktop) works in a similar way but will allow you to replace files. It's $47 and you can take it for a spin for 14 days free. If you do give it a go, I'd love to know how you find it.
Thanks,
Mike

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
mike.neuxpower":18teiqnq said:
Hi Jared,
I see I'm around 6 months late in responding to your question, so I hope you're still in the market for an alternative to FileMinimizer. Our software (NXPowerLite Desktop) works in a similar way but will allow you to replace files. It's $47 and you can take it for a spin for 14 days free. If you do give it a go, I'd love to know how you find it.
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll test it out on Monday and report back.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I acctually took a moment to install and test it on my laptop and it looks like exactly what I was hoping for. :D

It doesn't support quite as many file types as FileMinimizer Suite and it's a bit slower, but for $47 it's easily worth the purchase.

Now my only question is how well it'll handle damaged files or those with extra junk data at the end. I'll have to test that next week.