Adapter for SD5SE2-128G-1002E SSD

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know where I can get an adapter for this Sandisk SSD model SD5SE2-128G-1002E ?

I thought I finally had every adapter on the planet, but this one I apparently don't have. It's just like mSATA 18 pin, but it's smaller total width than that. I even tried ordering one specifically listed as being for certain Asus Laptops, but they are still a wider port than this stupid SSD.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Nevermind. It looks like the adapter I bought was just a Chinese blunder screw up. They labeled it as for the UX21 and UX31 laptops, but the port these morons soldered on there is just for a standard mSATA.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Oddly enough, if I force this thing into the full-size mSATA slot, it does work. It's super tight and didn't want to go in since the notch is a bit smaller but I guess the necessary pins still line up. I only decided to try that after seeing this image from Sintech on PC-Adapter.net which is for another adapter for this same laptop SSD:

USB%203.0%20UX31%20SSD%20case-5_zps41xtun9h.jpg

I guess the engineers over there probably had figured that out, so rather than building a proper smaller mSATA slot for it, they just used the regular mSATA port and re-mapped the necessary pins to the correct SATA equivalents. It just doesn't fit in there unless you push hard enough to practically break the thing and squeeze the plastic notch into the SSD.

After I image this thing fully I'll try it in a regular mSATA adapter and see if it works in that too.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
As an update to this (since someone asked me about it) it turns out there's no actual difference between this adapter and the regular old mSATA one. They just added the extra lettering to say it's an adapter specific to this SSD.

It is mSATA, it's just a smaller form factor but once shoved inside the full-size slot everything works. It's just not a good fit.

nissimezra

Jared, Thx for the info! I had this same issue before wasn't sure.

Do you know where I can find schematic for these type of SSD?
I found that they have 2 voltages, 3.3 is the main and 1.8.
Could not find any on google.

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's exactly the same as mSATA, just missing the outer pins (and the notch seems a bit smaller too).

andrewm

looking for some help with this same SSD and a similar/same adapter.
SSD SD5SE2-128G-1002E
Adapter Ebay (Nuo-fang Tech listed as for this SSD)

Similar issue in that it was a tight fit and more pins on the adapter (18-8) vs the SSD (12-6).
The pins on the left side of the adapter-18 / SSD-12 appear to line up. The pins on the right (adapter-8 / SSD-6) do not appear to line up at all.
Is this similar to your experience and were you able to use the adapter to access the SSD? Nervous that the pins right do not line up and I don't want to short something out in the SSD.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it worked just fine. It just doesn't seem like it fits right, but I had no issues once I forced it in there. Just didn't feel right to me either.