JoJo88
Data Recovery Noob

Accidentally formatted an SD Card, with different file system.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 am

Hello, I just joined.

I have a 64 GB Sandisk SD Card, which I use in an Android phone. Earlier, I had formatted it into two different partitions and was using it with Link2SD to move apps to the SD Card. The smaller ext3/4 partition contained the moved apps and was about 6 GBs; the other partition was probably FAT32 and was used to store other files.

Some time back, I factory reset the phone, and installed another ROM. I continued using the same SD Card, and in File Manager, it would show up as two partitions - the larger one for my files and the other smaller unused one which I had earlier used to move apps.

Since the disk space had become low on the larger partition, I decided to format the second Link2SD app partition so that I could use it store files. In Windows, you can format one partition while the other stays intact (for eg. formatting D: drive doesn't affect C: drive). I thought it would be the same here, and so I used the default file manager to format the second smaller partition. It started the process, and then I suddenly thought that it might mess up the larger partition, so I closed the app. When I opened file manager again, I found that it had formatted the whole SD Card (both partitions), and it was showing up now as exFAT. I immediately took out the card from the phone and inserted into the computer.

I tried using PhotoRec to recover the files, but it finds 0 files. I have tried both options, the first as whole disk and the second as exFAT. I have also tried the ext2/3/4 as well as the FAT/NTFS/HFS+ file systems. In all cases, it comes up with the nothing. I have tried a few other software as well, like Recuva, Easeus Data Recovery, and some others, but none of them finds anything.

HxD shows most of the data as zeroes.

In summary: I had a 64 GB SD Card split into two partitions - a larger probably FAT32 that contained my files, and the other smaller ext3/4 that contained moved apps. Accidentally formatting the card has made it into a single exFAT partition. I want to recover data from the first larger partition.

I have created an image.dd file and now am working from that, but I also have the SD Card and can work from that if required.

Please help.

Jared
Forum Admin

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:44 pm

Normally, all zeros would seem to indicate something like T.R.I.M. had been run, but I have yet to hear of a microSD card that supports T.R.I.M. Perhaps the phone actually did a wipe of the card as part of the format process.... I don't know. I'm really not much of a phone data recovery expert, as I try to avoid phones as much as possible.

lcoughey
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:28 pm

Apparently there has been some success at recovering data from formatted camera cards through direct reading of the NAND with tools like PC3000 Flash. Yes, even when the card is showing as full of 0x00.

JoJo88
Data Recovery Noob

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:29 am

lcoughey wrote:Apparently there has been some success at recovering data from formatted camera cards through direct reading of the NAND with tools like PC3000 Flash. Yes, even when the card is showing as full of 0x00.

I searched for this tool; it's a hardware device, and not a software program that can be run. Is there any such similar software app that can do this?

Jared
Forum Admin

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:39 am

No. Your issue is beyond anything software can do. Software can only ever request a block of data from the card and get what the card returns. If the card is returning only 00 in the sector, that's all any software can ever get.

JoJo88
Data Recovery Noob

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:27 am

Jared wrote:No. Your issue is beyond anything software can do. Software can only ever request a block of data from the card and get what the card returns. If the card is returning only 00 in the sector, that's all any software can ever get.

So there's nothing that can be done? :( Nothing I can search for on the internet and try out?

Btw, can anyone explain why this happened - why everything turned to zeroes?

pclab
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 am

What can be done is send the card to a lab who owns a PC3000 Flash and maybe they can recover it.
www.pclab.com.pt
facebook.com/PCLAB.Assistencia.Tecnica

Return to “SSD & Flash Data Recovery”