Acceptable "Unread"

ivgh

Hey guys,

Just a quick question here. Obviously we want to get as much data as possible but in normal circumstances, using DeepSpar, what is an acceptable "unread" count? I'm currently working on a Western Digital WD5000LPVX and have ~250k unread sectors due to Abort errors. I am thinking this is about 2% of the drive, can you confirm and maybe give me a rough idea of what is acceptable? Thanks all.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I don't know that there is an acceptable number or percentage every case is different. I always just aim to get as much as possible, and then let them decide to take or leave it. You can't help bad sectors, or fix them for that matter.

What I do is put all the good files in one folder, and all the bad in another. Then if they want they can preview the folders here to see what was recovered and what's corrupted.

I've had customers pay when we only were able to recover one file from a drive (though it was their Quickbooks file and even that took a month to get)

ivgh

Yeah, i agree, every case is unique. In this case, the cust. is a DJ and its his music. I always approach these recovery's with a bit of trepidation as any loss in a media file could corrupt the entire file and while its only 2% of the drive or so, I don't have the time to test every single media file, so I guess at this point its up to the cust.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have R-Studio linked with DeepSpar? If so it should be easy enough to copy just the good files and not the bad ones.

Nice thing about mp3's is they are fairly tolerant to a bad sector or two. Sometimes they still play just fine, or just have a slight hiccup.

ivgh

No, I use R-Studio but don't have it linked. How does that work? Do you need to run the recovery in the DRE? I usually only run them in DDI.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I don't actually use DDI. I do know that you need a technician license of R-Studio, and the network add on. So I assume that it does interface with DRE.

Perhaps Luke could weigh in, I know he uses it that way.

pclab

For what I know (at least my DDI3 can't), DRE can only select the files/folders to image and then get the drive back to me imaged. Can't work with R-Studio if you don't have the network add-on.