6 HDD SATA in RAID - 0 How to

dres

Hello for the first time...
I have PC-3000 SAS and Data Extractor RAID. Recently I got 6 IBM SATA HDD that are in RAID 0 and the disk number 2 is malfunctioned.
I don't have much experience so if somebody can give instructions how to make data recovery step by step?
First what I tried to do is to make disk images for all of the disks.
The disk number two is giving "Error while reading drive's ID!!Not ready." while trying to "Make copy" or trying to make image.
Thank you very much and best regards.

lcoughey

Step 1 - get the failed drive functioning so that you can get it mirrored (You'll need PC3K UDMA-E or Express to work with the firmware on a SATA drive)
Step 2 - mirror the "good" drives
Step 3 - virtually recreate the RAID 0 array and recover the data

If you cannot get past Step 1, you are pretty much out of luck.

dr-kiev

According to my expirience, half of RAID0 is actually not raid0. I would research that without trusting any client's words. In case if it is not raid0, there is huge chance to recover data without malfunctioning disk.

lcoughey

dr-kiev":3b004ffj said:
According to my expirience, half of RAID0 is actually not raid0. I would research that without trusting any client's words. In case if it is not raid0, there is huge chance to recover data without malfunctioning disk.
You do have a good point here. I was just telling someone else that it is always best to ignore what the client says and start fresh without any assumptions which might lead you down a very long and windy path in the wrong direction.