500 GB Maxtor

MartinComputing

I have a 500GB Maxtor enclosure with two 300GB drives inside. I imagine that they must RAIDed if they always showed up as one 500GD drive. I have a iTunes and iPhoto library I'm trying to recover.

Drives spin and will show up in Disk Utility.

I'm thinking I need to copy images of each drive to my HD and somehow put the images together.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Imaging or cloning the drives is a great first start. That way you'll be safely working with a copy and you'll know if either has a hardware issue.

Programs such as R-Studio or Recovery Explorer can rebuild the RAID. It will just require some manual guessing to find the correct settings. It must have been either a RAID 0 or a JBOD to appear ~500Gb.

MartinComputing

I use:
kathymartin$ sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=~/Desktop/diskimage1.img

I get:
dd: /dev/disk1: Device not configured

Again, I'm trying to clone the two disks so I can retrieve the data from the RAID. I only have one connector. Therefore, I can only connect to one disk at a time.

How do I clone the HD?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I highly doubt "/dev/disk1" is the correct designation. It's probably more like /dev/sd1 or something like that.

What OS are you running?

lcoughey

Seems like a Mac os use of dd. How large is your system drive? Please confirm it has considerably more than 600GB of free space.