3 TB Western Digital drive, out of MyBook, inaccessible. Seeking advice.

ejlion

Hello everyone,

I have a 3TB Western Digital MyBook drive that suddenly stopped being recognized.

This has the awful WD USB PCB that's required in order to see the filesystem because of the block size translation. It has the ASM1051W chip, which, I understand, actually does NOT encrypt the drive.

However, setting that aside for a moment...

Even when the USB PCB is removed, and drive is just plugged in to SATA power and data, it only gets recognized in the BIOS briefly upon a cold boot of the system. By the time any operating system tries to address it, it's gone. If I warm boot, the BIOS doesn't see it. This happens with both motherboard SATA and PCI card SATA adapters.

Whether the WD PCB is present or not, the drive spins up, and just gives repeated three "gentle" clicks.

I've even tried a donor USB PCB from another MyBook. There was no change in behavior.

When connected via USB, repair utilities like testdisk or ddrescue just error out, rapidly, on every sector. It's as if the disk itself isn't even attached. When connected via SATA, it doesn't stay present long enough to be addressed by any OS.

I'm most intrigued by how the drive just stops existing until a cold boot, is detectable again for some number of seconds, and how that's repeatable.

What's next? Would there be any hope in a hard drive PCB replacement and ROM swap? Or is it clear that the drive is damaged physically? If the latter, are there any reputable data recovery services that don't cost several thousands of dollars?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
This is commonly referred to as the WD slow responding bug. It happens when a drive develops more bad sectors than it's firmware can handle remapping (in most cases). Early on when the bug starts, the drive will sometimes just be really slow to respond, but as the problem worsens it'll reach a point where it always returns a busy signal to the computer and never recovers. On an initial power up, it may respond long enough to report ID to the system, but then as soon as the remapping background process is started, goes busy.

Replacing the PCB will do nothing to help in your case. The firmware needs to be patched to disable background processes, clear g-list, etc. so the drive will be stabilized and readable again.

It's a pretty quick fix if you have a tool like PC-3000, MRT, or DFL, but I doubt you'll want to invest in one of those. So your best bet is probably a recovery lab.