2.5 Platter swap tool

happyrec

Hello,

We are currently using the 2.5'' platter swap tool sold by Salvation Data (we got it 3 years ago). I think it is the most common in DR market.
The problem is that with some 2.5'' WD disk, we are not able to remove some of the platters because the space between the platters and the disk cover is too tight for this tool.

Is the HDRC tool good? (http://www.hdrconline.com/platter-exchanger-tool.php)

Which tools do you use for 2.5'' platter swap?

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like them. I find it doesn't hold the platters very well. Was a waste of money in my opinion, I think I only used them once.

lcoughey

I can assure you that the HDRC stuff is a waste money. I ordered a full set years ago, they were so bad that they sent me a whole new set which was just as bad, if not worse. Two units that are supposed to be the same aren't even close and they look like they were made in art class by elementary students.

I've used the tape method both alone and in tandem with other tools.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, the good 'ol foil tape method right? It's stiffer than the plastic stuff shown in the video, and stickier too.

I actually had a machinist who makes surgical tools working on a new design for me, but he has yet to complete it. One of these days I'll have an offering in that department.

LarrySabo

Heavy Duty Duck (brand) tape works well enough, although I would like it to be stickier. That aluminum duct tape is tenacious and I worry abut making a mess of things trying to remove it. Looking forward to seeing your custom design. I should bring the need to the attention of Ottawa-based Lee Valley Tools--they design surgical instruments/tools and would probably do a good job of it.

hipo

Don't even think about HDRC tools. They are very bad and unsafe.

Can you tell witch model of WD 2.5" have motor problem or post picture.