I/O errors

dwd

Trying to rescue files from corrupted Toshiba MK6411MAT using a USB adapter. The drive quietly (need to hold it to my ear) makes "hunting" sounds immediately after plugging in to USB port, but doesn't get drive letter assignment. Disk manager says it needs initialization and has 6 Gb unallocated. Device manager shows adapter working properly and gives drive model info under "Properties". I've read that initialization will only be useful to prepare for formatting, but not help accessing files so I downloaded DMDE 4 for Windows (console pkg).

In DMDE when I attempt to open volume, I get Winerror 1117. When I attempt full scan, I get Winerror 23 (CRC error). When I change parameters to sector jump 1 and retry, I get Winerror 1117. When I did these things the drive remained silent. Perhaps the events were too quick for my ears.

Should I try initialization anyway? I'm a novice, but would that be like replacing the table of contents in a book with a blank table of contents?

I'm hoping only the Windows 98 OS is corrupted. I don't need that. I just want some of my personal files, pics, and maybe a couple programs.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
NO! Under no circumstance should you ever initialize a drive you are trying to recover data from. To "initialize" means to create a new partition table and that can be data destructive.

The drive is having hardware issues, at the very least it has bad sectors and could be much worse.

How much is this data worth? Before going DIY, be sure you're prepared for the very real risk of losing the data forever. If you can't risk that, you'll want to opt for pro help.

dwd

Thanks for confirming that. I take it these I/O errors are the usual symptoms of hardware fault in this drive and that DMDE won't help.

I have lived without these files for 15+ years so it wouldn't make sense to sink a lot of time or money into it, but I am curious. (I'm DIY with cars, TV's, laptops, CD players, etc. I even remember realigning the head of an old Commodore floppy drive back in the early 90's. Very low density! I'd rather be pissed at myself than pissed at someone else for screwing it up for me!)

It looks like the cover comes off easy enough. I already have a set of those tiny torx bits. Can I watch it work? What should I see? I presume a crashed head will leave marks on the disk.

Can DMDE give me more flexibility with donors? Could I put this disc into a Seagate or a different Toshiba 2.5"?

pclab

Why do you want to open it? To kill it for good?

What you should try is to image the drive with HDDsuperclone to an healthy drive.

dwd

The other guy thought it was a hardware problem. Let's say the hardware is OK. How can I read to image if I can't do a raw scan?

pclab

The best is to use hardware for it but since you don't have it, software imaging can deal with problems with the drive, like reset, skip bad sectors, etc, etc, that data recovery software is not prepared for.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The other guy thought it was a hardware problem.
It probably is, but the issue could be as simple as a lot of bad sectors in the file tables or something like that. So pclab's suggestion of using a Linux tool like HDDSuperClone to attempt imaging is a valid suggestion. If it's just bad sectors causing the I/O errors, it may succeed in rescuing much of the data.

HermanMonero

Trying to rescue files from corrupted Toshiba MK6411MAT using a USB adapter. The drive quietly (need to hold it to my ear) makes "hunting" sounds immediately after plugging in to USB port, but doesn't get drive letter assignment. Disk manager says it needs initialization and has 6 Gb unallocated. Device manager shows adapter working properly and gives drive model info under "Properties". I've read that initialization will only be useful to prepare for formatting, but not help accessing files so I downloaded DMDE 4 for Windows (console pkg).

In DMDE when I attempt to open volume, I get Winerror 1117. When I attempt full scan, I get Winerror 23 (CRC error). When I change parameters to sector jump 1 and retry, I get Winerror 1117. When I did these things the drive remained silent. Perhaps the events were too quick for my ears.

Should I try initialization anyway? I'm a novice, but would that be like replacing the table of contents in a book with a blank table of contents?

I'm hoping only the Windows 98 OS is corrupted. I don't need that. I just want some of my personal files, pics, and maybe a couple programs.

Hello. Finding Nursing Case Studies was a game-changer for me. Their nursingpaper.com writing offers top-notch solutions for any subject, and their experts are exceptionally skilled. The process is smooth and hassle-free, and the support team is always ready to help. I can confidently say that my grades have improved, all thanks to their assistance!
Attempting to initialize the drive could potentially worsen the situation and lead to data loss. Initializing a disk involves creating a new partition table, which would overwrite the existing partition information and might make it more difficult to recover data.

Given the symptoms you described, it's likely that the drive is experiencing physical issues or significant file system corruption. In such cases, software-based solutions like DMDE might not be sufficient to recover data successfully.

Here are some steps you can take to try to rescue your files from the corrupted drive:

1. Disconnect and Stop Use: If you suspect physical issues with the drive, avoid using it further. Continued attempts to access the drive might exacerbate the problem.
  2. Professional Data Recovery Service: If the data on the drive is essential and not replaceable, consider contacting a professional data recovery service. They have specialized equipment and expertise to handle physically damaged drives and recover data safely. Be aware that professional data recovery services can be expensive.
  3. Different Adapter or Computer: Try using a different USB adapter or connecting the drive to a different computer to rule out any issues with the adapter or USB port.
  4. Data Recovery Software: If the drive shows up in the Disk Management with an unallocated space, it's possible that the partition table or file system is corrupted. You can try using data recovery software specifically designed to recover files from corrupted or damaged drives. Some popular options include Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, or TestDisk. These software tools might have a better chance of recovering data without the need for disk initialization.
  5. Handle with Care: If you attempt any DIY data recovery, be extremely cautious and follow step-by-step guides carefully. Avoid writing anything to the drive to prevent further data loss.
Remember that data recovery from a physically damaged or severely corrupted drive can be challenging, and there's no guarantee of success. If the data on the drive is irreplaceable and critical, it's best to seek professional help to maximize the chances of a successful recovery.

Last edited: